[linux-lvm] [Fwd: Re: GRUB + LVM + XFS?]

Here is a forwarded message about How you would do the GRUB + LVM. Hope
this helps.
--
Austin Gonyou
Systems Architect, CCNA

Latin Proverb
--- Begin Message ---
You need a ext2 /boot (or if you've applied the xfs patches to grub
you can use that).  /boot cannot be in the LVM.

You'll need an initrd that initializes the LVM.  Your lvm package
should come with the command "lvmcreate_initrd" -- this will create a
minimal initrd that *only* starts lvm.  If you need other things in
your initrd then you'll have to "hack" the generated one.  I'd
recommend compiling in all the other components you need in the kernel
rather than using modules.  (for example, compile in your scsi
drivers)

I'm having toubles with the current CVS version of the XFS kernel.  I
haven't had time to look at it completely, but... it could be:

1) mismatch between userspace and kernel (what LVM is in the XFS
   kernel?  I'm using the debian lvm10 userspace).

2) bad config

3) ???

A quick "bt" at boot in kdb shows that devfs is in the call path.  No,
I haven't had time to write everything down. :(  Man, I wish there was
an easy to dump the kdb info or an OOPs to disk...

--
-rupa