Re: what i need is a little attention-RE [linux-lvm] SoftRaid and LVM Jean-Eric Cuendet

Hi
some month's ago i had a running  LVM over sofware RAID-0 setup
i have currently also a normal VG ( PV's are normal partitions) wich has
no troubles with ext2 nad reiserfs
but the new VG (containing striped LV's) which is
/dev/hdh10
/dev/md6  linear software RAID
/dev/md7 linear software RAID

i can not format with ext2 or reiserfs , when i try mke2fs mkreiserfs
they segfaults
because of the troubles with ext2 and reiserfs i think that i can not be
sure that everything with the LV's works
but probably i'll try cpio-ing my installation over it and give it a try

i'm running ABIT's BP6 2xCelleron533 512Mb RAM 2xWD 30Gb 1xMaxtor 40Gb
raidtools-0.90 lvm-1.0.1rc2 e2fsprogs1.23 1.24 1.24a reiserfs-progs-3.x.0j

and one more question about the min-max
i don't speak "C" can you tell me how to do it with pre linux-2.4.9patches
wich i wont to aply to linux-2.4.10pre2 and they are giving me problems
with min-max definition

Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:

>Hi,
>I'll give you my setup.
>I have a 5 36Gb SCSI disks machine which do MD+LVM+ext2 on them
>Each disk is splitted in 4 (~9Gb each partition) and then grouped 5 by 5
>to form 4 MD (md5, md6, md7, md8) each ~36Gb in RAID5.
>Then these 4 MDs are added in a VG and LVs are created for each need
>(CVS, HOMES, FILES, ...).
>The machine is a PIII 733 with 256Mb RAM and has RH7.1 installed
>I use MD 0.90.0, LVM 1.0.1rc1 and e2fsprogs 1.23. I have NO reiserfs nor
>XFS nor JFS.
>
>All that works fine for me with little problems since upgrade to
>LVM-0.9.1-beta7
>
>Each partition on the physical disk is marked as fd (Linux RAID
>autodectect) then pvcreate is made on /dev/md[5678] . There is no need
>to put either "Linux Native (83)" nor "Linux LVM (8e)" on the /dev/md1
>or something like that. Just the fd on physical partitions will do the
>trick.
>
>Hope this helps.
>-jec

/dev/hde1  dos partition
/dev/hde5 /boot
/dev/hde6 ------X----------> /dev/md7 linear software RAID  ------------------------------------------------ |
/dev/hde11------|              ( raid-devs hde6 hde11)                                                       |
/dev/hde7--------------------X---->   VG wish   PV's hde7 hdg8 hdh5                                          |
/dev/hde8 -----------X---> that is /dev/md0 sofware RAID-0                                                   |
/dev/hde9 swap       |       |                                                                               |
/dev/hde10 ----------|-------|-----------X-------> /dev/md1 software RAID-0                                  |
                     |       |           |                                                                   |
/dev/hdg1------------|-------|-----------|-------X------> /dev/md6 linear software RAID----------------------X--> VG myData
/dev/hdg5------------|-------|-----------|-------X           ( raid-devs hdg1 hdg5 hdg6 hdg12 )              | PV's hdh10 md6 md7
/dev/hdg6------------|-------|-----------|-------X                                                           |
/dev/hdg7------------|-------|-----------|-------|------------X-----> /dev/md8 software RAID-0               |
/dev/hdg8 -----------|-------X           |       |            |       (raid-devs hdg7 hdh8 )                 |
/dev/hdg9 -----------|-------|-----------X       |            |                                              |
/dev/hdg10 ----------X       |           |       |            |                                              |
/dev/hdg11 swap      |       |           |       |  	      | 					     |
/dev/hdg12 ----------|-------|-----------|-------|            |                                              |
/dev/hdh1  dos partiton      |           |                    |  	                                     |
/dev/hdh9 swap                                                      				             |

 X notifies conection

i hope it's almost understandable now