Re: Dealing with optional i2c devices in a devicetree

Hi Chris,

On 06/04/2015 11:03 PM, Chris Packham wrote:
Hi,

I'm working on a new board and one feature it as is a plug-in module
with an ADS7830 voltage monitor on it. This will be used during
manufacturing to sanity check that various voltage rails are within
expected ranges.

I have a dts entry for the device as below (with some omissions for the
sake of clarity)

	soc {
		internal-regs {
			i2c@11000 {
				ads7830@48 {
					compatible = "ads7830";
					reg = <0x48>;
				};
			};
		};
	};

The problem is that when the manufacturing card is not installed the
device still shows up in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/ and
/sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0048/ despite it not actually being present. If I
was using an old style initialization I could use
i2c_new_probed_device() which I think would stop the drivers probe()
function from being called

Looking at the ads7828_probe() function it doesn't actually do anything
with the i2c device before calling hwmon_device_register(). Some hwmon
drivers like lm73_probe() do attempt to read from the device and bail if
the read fails. I can probably fix my problem by doing something similar
in the ads7828_probe(), but there are other drivers that have a similar
probe function.

But that would be artificial in this case, and it could not be used to really
detect the chip but would only prove that there is a chip at the selected i2c
address. This is not really useful.

Is there a better way of getting the devicetree machinery to avoid the
call to the driver probe function in the first place?

The easiest solution would probably be to drop the entry from the
devicetree file and instantiate the driver manually via sysfs when
needed. Another option would be to load a different devicetree file
if the chip is plugged in.

You might also be able to use a devicetree overlay, but that would
probably add too much complexity if the chip is only used in
manufacturing.

Guenter