Dealing with optional i2c devices in a devicetree

Hi,

I'm working on a new board and one feature it as is a plug-in module
with an ADS7830 voltage monitor on it. This will be used during
manufacturing to sanity check that various voltage rails are within
expected ranges.

I have a dts entry for the device as below (with some omissions for the
sake of clarity)

	soc {
		internal-regs {
			i2c@11000 {
				ads7830@48 {
					compatible = "ads7830";
					reg = <0x48>;
				};
			};
		};
	};

The problem is that when the manufacturing card is not installed the
device still shows up in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/ and
/sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0048/ despite it not actually being present. If I
was using an old style initialization I could use
i2c_new_probed_device() which I think would stop the drivers probe()
function from being called

Looking at the ads7828_probe() function it doesn't actually do anything
with the i2c device before calling hwmon_device_register(). Some hwmon
drivers like lm73_probe() do attempt to read from the device and bail if
the read fails. I can probably fix my problem by doing something similar
in the ads7828_probe(), but there are other drivers that have a similar
probe function.

Is there a better way of getting the devicetree machinery to avoid the
call to the driver probe function in the first place?

Thanks,
Chris