Re: Additional PWM driver support for w83792d

On 05/11/2015 03:45 AM, Jean Delvare wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2015 09:01:25 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On 05/10/2015 06:42 AM, vt8231@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
[ ... ]

Last note: registers 0xA3-0xA6 have extra configuration bits "Sync
T1/2/3". Maybe the driver should handle them but I am not sure how. It
could be that the extra outputs should only be exposed to user-space if
these bits are 0 (stand alone.) Guenter, any idea/opinion on this?

How about using pwm[4567]_enable ? If I understand correctly, the possible
modes would be manual or sync(x). In this case we could have 1 (manual),
2 (sync with fan1), 3 (sync with fan2), and 4 (sync with fan3), with the
caveat that the sync settings only make sense if the matching pwmX_enable
is set to thermal cruise mode.

Does this make sense ?

Not really. The problem is that for now I'm not sure what "sync" really
refers to. The datasheet mentions temperature channels, and as far as I
can see each temperature channel is hard-bound to a specific fan
output. So I suspect that what these configuration bit really mean is
that the pwm4 output (for example) mirrors the pwm1 output, i.e. pwm4
has no independent existence. In which case it's better to not expose
it at all.

If the BIOS specifically configured these bits, there must be a reason
and that reason would be the way the fans are connected to the chipset.
Better not change it.

If we really want to expose these bits then abusing pwmX_enable the way
you suggested is still not correct, pwmX_auto_channels_temp would be
better suited. But then again I don't think it adds any value if the
extra PWM outputs only mirror already existing PWM outputs.

Ok, fine with me.

Guenter