Re: libsensors license question - GPL or LGPL ?

Hi Guenter,

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:30:34 -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> libsensors is supposed to be licensed under LGPL as far as I can see
> and recall. However, doc/developers/applications reads:
>
>     Note that libsensors falls under the GPL, not the LGPL.
>     In more human language, that means it is FORBIDDEN to link any application
>     to the library, even to the shared version, if the application itself
>     does not fall under the GPL. This may or may not be changed in the future.
>     Contact us if you wish to discuss your application.
>
> Is that an oversight from earlier versions or on purpose ?
> The source refers to LGPL as far as I can see, and the comment in
> lib/libsensors.3 states that it is distributed under LGPL.

This is an horrible oversight. libsensors was originally under GPL,
but I changed the license to LGPL with the approval of all authors and
copyright holders:
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/LibsensorsLicense

So starting with version 3.2.0, the only license for libsensors is LGPL.

I'll fix the documentation immediately, thanks for pointing out my
mistake.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support