Re: Help with PMBus VOUT_COMMAND

On 07/04/2014 08:22 AM, Leandro de Marco wrote:
Hi. I need to configure a BMR464 vout parameter.

For what I've read this is not supported and won't be supported as a
sysfs interface entry, as this is intended for monitoring purposes
only.

I found this message, from 1 year ago, that received no response:
http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2013-July/039441.html

Is the ioctl a better approach to set the output? Can't we set this
via sys-fs interface and allow only a privileged user to change it?

I would like to have some direction here about what is the best way to
implement this.

Thanks!

From my original reply:

"Wrong approach, unfortunately. The regulator subsystem should be used to control
 voltages and power supplies. See Documentation/power/regulator/ for details.
 The driver should register itself as power regulator. Since it is a PMBus
 device, any implementation should be generic and not just support a single chip.
 So far no one asked for it, so I did not bother to implement it. Basic idea is
 quite straightforward, but this is one area where PMBus devices have lots of
 subtle differences, so it would probably need a generic interface/API which
 is triggered by device specific flags and/or callbacks (ie only chips
 implementing the callbacks and/or flags would be registered as regulators)."

Alternative would be to set the value you need / want with the i2cset command
from user space. This may be an easy way to proceed if you plan to set different
values only for testing.

Guenter