Re: [lm85] Sensors yields triplicate output

Hi Mike,

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 08:19:22 -0600, Mike Dixon wrote:
> I have a board in which sensors is giving me essentially three outputs for
> the same chip (see below). I haven't been able to find anyone else with
> this problem. Has anyone seen this before?

Not that I can remember, no.

Please note: you are not seeing 3 different outputs from the same chip.
The driver sees 3 devices. Some could be misdetections, but they are
definitely separate chips.

> As you can see, two of the
> outputs give erroneous data. Do you know how I could disable two of the
> adapters so I only get one output?

Difficult. You can't prevent the driver from binding to the devices.
What you can do is unbind the driver afterward. As root:
# echo 0-002e > /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/lm85/unbind
# echo 4-002c > /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/lm85/unbind

I think you'll need a kernel with hot-plug support, but that should
pretty much be the default these days.

You can put the above in some init script, however this assumes that
the I2C bus numbers are stable, which is not guaranteed. Also this must
be done _after_ the lm85 driver is loaded.

> I have already tried altering the
> sensors3.conf file. But any use of wildcards other than "lm85-*" yields an
> error. For example I tried "lm85-i2c-4-2e", "*-4-*" and they did not work.

Any reference to an I2C bus number requires that you first map this bus
number to an actual I2C bus, by name, using a "bus" statement. This is
explained in the sensors.conf man page.

> I am running CentOS 6.4 with lm_sensors 3.1.1. Thanks.

We would also need to know your kernel version and also which piece of
hardware you're seeing this on. Also please let us know if you
installed a separate lm85 driver.

Please also unload the lm85 driver and run a recent version of
sensors-detect [1], and show us the output.

[1] http://dl.lm-sensors.org/lm-sensors/files/sensors-detect

I would also appreciate dumps from all 3 devices. Install i2c-tools,
then:
# modprobe i2c-dev
# i2cdump -y 0 0x2e > /tmp/lm85-i2c-0-2e.dump
# i2cdump -y 4 0x2c > /tmp/lm85-i2c-4-2c.dump
# i2cdump -y 4 0x2e > /tmp/lm85-i2c-4-2e.dump

Most likely the lm85 driver is misdetecting devices. The 1st one at
least looks plain wrong. The 2nd one might be real, especially if this
is a 2-CPU system. The 3rd one looks totally correct.

There is generic detection code in the driver which could lead to that,
I think it should be removed. I have a patch ready which I will post
soon, and I would also appreciate if you could test an updated version
of the lm85 driver. But first I need the information above.

--
Jean Delvare
http://jdelvare.nerim.net/wishlist.html