Re: Configuration ASUS H87-PRO for Wiki

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 00:16:14 +0100, Mathias Gerber wrote:

> Hi Jean
>
> Thanks for your comments and your effort.
>
> On 20.02.2014 21:55, Jean Delvare wrote:
> >> label in0 "VCCin" # CPU Input Voltage
> > We typically use "Vcore" for the CPU voltage, even though I see
> > Asus names it VCCIN in the BIOS.
> I didn't knew it better so I have just chosen the BIOS label. But ok.
>
> >> compute in0  @*2    , @/2
> > This is very surprising. The NCT6791 has a 2.04 V ADC so any
> > voltage below 2 V doesn't need to be scaled. CPU core voltage is
> > typically way below 2 V on modern CPUs.
> According to [1], Page 94 is Vcc can be requested by the CPU up to
> 3.04V (0xFF) on a 4th gen Intel Core CPU.
>
> Unscaled i get a reading of 0.86V, the BIOS shows 1.728.
> It seems that this is not the only board with such a "wiring", see [2]

Hmm, OK, I didn't know that. I'll update my guide accordingly.

> >> label in1 "+5V" # 5V
> > How did you figure out?
> With the following BIOS sample readings:
> 5, 5.08, 5.12, 5.2
>
> Minimal difference found in the reading: 0.04V. The nct6791 has
> 8mV/Bit unscaled. => 40/8

Nice work :)

> > As a general comment, I don't see the point of these comments
> > duplicating the label.
> Ok, some of them were just leftovers from the "development" of the
> configuration file.
>
> > Yes, these are AVCC and +3.3V, no need for question marks. These
> > are hardwired in the chipset so they can't be wrong.
> I did not knew thank, thanks for the explanation.
>
> >> label in4 "+12V" # 12V
> > How did you figure out?
> I took/found the following BIOS samples:
> 11.328, 12, 12.096, 12.384
> Minimal difference found in the reading: 0.096V. The nct6791 has
> 8mV/Bit unscaled. => 96/8
>
> But I could not clearly assign the 12V reading to in1 or in4 because
> the two readings were nearly identical :-/
> So I connected an external 12V PSU to the 12V rail and turned the
> voltage slightly up and down :-) (with a PicoPSU)

Sweet :-)

> >> label in7 "3VSB?" # 3VSB? set in7_min 3.3 * 0.95 set in7_max 3.3
> >> * 1.05
> > Again, yes they are, no need for question marks.
> Fine :-) But do you know why its 3VSB (=standby?)

Yes, Stand-by.

> I thought the standby voltage is usually 5V, isn't it?

You're right that the ATX standard only defines 5VSB and not 3VSB. But
as many chips are powered by 3.3V these days an no longer 5V, 5VSB can
be scaled down to 3VSB on the board.

> > Setting  in8_min to 3 V seems a bit optimistic, it's a 3 V battery
> > so it could easily go slightly below 3 V. 3 * 0.95 would seem more
> > reasonable. Likewise, in8_max doesn't need to be so high, worst
> > case the battery is backed by 3VSB which is 3.3 V +/- 5% according
> > to the ATX specification. So a max of 3.3 * 1.05 seems reasonable.
> Actual reading here: 3.33V. But normally I agree, yes.

As I understand it, on many recent boards the battery is backed up by
+3.3V or 3VSB as long as the PSU is on / connected. This avoids killing the
battery too fast. So when monitoring, the machine is up and you'll see a
reading close to 3.3 V. But when the machine is sleeping, it may switch
to the actual battery again and you'll get a reading close to 3.0 V. So
it's better to be safe and go with permissive limits.

> > For the wiki, we don't put ignore statements for inputs which do
> > exist on the board (although I understand you put them in your
> > local copy of the file.)
> Ok.
>
> >> #label CPUTIN "CPU temperature"
> > I suppose you really mean temp2. But why is it commented out?
> This is a leftover from one of my first tests with this board.
> I just forgot to clear the line completely.

OK, I did.

> >> ignore intrusion0
> > Is the intrusion detection feature not available on the board?
> Found no connector nor an mentioning in the manual.

OK.

> >> ignore temp7		# PECI Agent 0 => value is the same as coretemp,
> >> phys ID0
> > That's not a reason to ignore it. Having more sources can be
> > useful, for example to setup automatic fan speed control, or to use
> > the min/max settings which the coretemp driver doesn't have.
> Ok

I have modified the file accordingly and it's there:
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Configurations/Asus/H87-Pro

Thanks for your contribution.

--
Jean Delvare