Re: Reading SPD on Intel Patsburg on Supermicro X9SRG-F board

On 01/29/2014 07:39 PM, Alun Evans wrote:

On 29 Jan 2014, at 17:42, Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 05:30:14PM -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 05:12:48PM -0800, Alun Evans wrote:

On 29 Jan 2014, at 11:48, Alun Evans <alun@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the responses everyone, inline,

On 29 Jan 2014, at 10:25, Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 05:42:24PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
Hi Alun,
<snip>

Please ask Supermicro about it.

I have put a request in… We’ll see if I get a response.

If the memory slots are behind an I2C
multiplexer, ask them if the multiplexer is I2C-based or GPIO-based. If
I2C-based, ask for the multiplexer type and address. If GPIO-based, ask
for the chip name and pin numbers for the GPIOs. In both case, please
ask which GPIO combinations map to which memory slots.

I inlined the above hunk with my question, and the first response was:

Received feedback; The memory address does not use mux.  It is hardware defined by Intel.

So I went and clarified I was not talking about the DDR physical address setup by the memory reference code, and I got:

Per our engineer; There is no hardware connecting to DIMM.

I’m not sure I’ve found the right help here...

Actually you might have. On some HW the DIMMs are connceted to a separate
SMBus channel which is not visible to SW.

I had a quick glance into the Patsburg (c600) datasheet. The chip has
up to four SMBus channels, depending on chip variant. Are you sure
that you are talking to the correct one ? What do you see with lspci ?

I am talking to that one:

$ sudo lspci -v -v -v -s 0000:00:1f.3
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset SMBus Host Controller (rev 05)
         Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Device 0661
         Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
         Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 18
         Region 0: Memory at fba20000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
         Region 4: I/O ports at 1180 [size=32]
         Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
         Kernel modules: i2c-i801

Anything else that looks like an SMBus controller ? The datasheet says that "SRV/WS SKUs Only"
would have additional SMBus controllers.

Whether or not the DIMMs are connected to it is a good question.

It’s a C602:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c600/x9srg-f.cfm

Thinking about it, this Xeon has an integrated memory controller with 4 DDR3 channels, each of which can have 3 DIMMs per channel. That’s potentially 12 DIMMs on a board, which exceeds the 8 addressable SPDs given the 3 pins for addressing (SA{0-2}). While this board only has 8 DIMMs, it would make some sense if they were split in half with a mux somewhere.

Presumably there must be a means for the BIOS to read the SPD data to be able to
program the DRAM controller correctly. No idea how that works in detail, though.

Guenter