Re: About the Asus F2A85 temperature sensor (it8603e)

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Rudolf Marek <r.marek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  P.S. I have reason to believe that the it87 device we are talking about is
>> actually an emulation running on an 8051 co-processor, specifically the EC
>> (Embedded Controller) in the AMD A85 Hudson chipset. The it87 emulation is
>> poorly written in the 8051 code and can result in unexpected effects --
>> bugs.
>> I have specifically seen the sensor stop updating (as if it just stopped
>> sampling values).
>>

> No, the chip is real, just look to the corner near audio connectors ;) The
> chip is derivate of IT8728 it seems. It has lower pin count and lower
> number of features. There are just two input temperatures and 3 fan
> inputs/pwms. Voltages are all there. It looks like the voltages have fixed
> functions for inputs because they are also used in the voltage under/over
> voltage protections.
>
> I'm tempted to treat this chip as IT8728F. Does anyone have a datasheet of
> IT8728F?

That is a good idea. The current driver causes the chip to stop updating
temperatures, though fan control continues to work. That probably means a
different/additional exit sequence is needed -- or perhaps writing to the
chip is entirely wrong.

I'll look for an 8728 datasheet.

David