Re: it87.fix_pwm_polarity

On 08/16/2013 01:57 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> It just changes the pwm polarity from active low to active high unless
> fan control is set to automatic mode. That doesn't damage anything.

Good to know.

> Does automatic fan control for the drive bay fan work if you don't load
> the driver ? Also, what kernel log message do you get when you load the
> driver with or without the parameter ?

I don't believe so.  Without the module loaded the fan seems to always
run at about 75% of its maximum speed.

It is hard to be 100% sure, because the temperatures reported by the
IT8728F don't seem to ever vary by more than a few degrees, even when
coretemp reports significant changes (around 20 degrees).  So it's
possible that automatic fan control is "working," but getting garbage
input.

If I load the module after a cold-boot without the parameter, I get:

  it87 it87.656: Detected broken BIOS defaults, disabling PWM interface

Once I've loaded it with the fix_pwm_polarity=1 one time, I can unload/
reload the module without any special parameters, and PWM continues to
work.  IIRC, this is true across warm reboots.

Note that bad/incomplete setup by the BIOS appears to be somewhat common
on this hardware.  This is a Thecus N5550 NAS, and the manufacturer
expects people to run their Linux-based "firmware."  Their add-on kernel
modules do some setup work (configuring ICH GPIOs) which would normally
be done by the BIOS.

HTH