it87.fix_pwm_polarity

I am setting up a Thecus N5550 NAS, and I found that the it87 driver
disables PWM control of the drive bay fan (it87.656/pwm3) unless I pass
the fix_pwm_polarity parameter.  Once I add that parameter, fan control
appears to work just fine.

Does this setting actually invert the voltage that is supplied to the
fan?  If so, does this have the potential to damage the fan itself (or
other components)?

Note that Thecus provides their own Linux-based "firmware" for this
NAS, so it's unlikely that they will ever change the way the BIOS sets
up the fans.  (And having the drive bay fan off by default may well
make sense anyway.)

Thanks!