i2c multimaster and the device driver detect function

Hi all,

I've read the discussion on multimaster and I have to agree with Uwe about masters doing the arbitration (and retry). However, there's another issue which one quickly discovers when adding a second master on a physical i2c bus.

Here's the scenario: Using driver jc42 which adds a "detect" function, and using two masters which end-up creating "i2c-0" and "i2c-1", the temp sensors get instanciated twice, i.e. once on each bus master. This is obviously very problematic as there are two driver instances controlling the exact same chip.

Before I dive a bit too much into this, is there something I am missing?

Should there be a "struct i2c_bus" along side "struct i2c_adapter" where the adapter would point to an i2c_bus or something? Sounds like this would have many downstream implications, and until today, I've only written device drivers not core. I could try something, but due diligence dictates i2c maintainers should provide input before I get lost into un-mergeable work.

Thanks for your input!