Re: Dell Inspiron 530 Chassis Fan Control?

Hi Adam,

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 10:50:01 -0400, Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
> Apologies as this a bit OT, but hoping someone can help me understand
> what's happening here. It does appear that the Inspiron has a 3-pin
> connector. When I power up the box, it is very quiet for about 4 or 5
> minutes. After that, the fan appears to go to 100% and never quiets down
> again. Even when I cpufreq-set to powersave and cap the max CPU freq at
> 2.0 GHz for all four cores (80% of max), it still stays loud
> indefinitely.

What does "top" say about the system load? Cpufreq makes no difference
if there is CPU load.

> I've opened up the box and cleaned out all dust and
> visually inspected the fans, and nothing appears awry.
> /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp consistently reports
> 40.0 degrees C i.e. 40000 (I'm actually suspicious of that number
> because it never seems to change).

It is completely possible that the returned value is bogus, we've seen
that before. Sometimes fixed by a BIOS update, sometimes not. Another
possibility is that the measurement is so inaccurate below 40°C that
they don't want to report it and you'll only see the value raise if the
temperature actually goes above 40°C.

Don't you have any other thermal sensor in the system than the ACPI
thermal zone? Did you try running sensors-detect already? A recent
version preferably:
  http://dl.lm-sensors.org/lm-sensors/files/sensors-detect

Do you have any /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device* with attribute type
other than Processor?

> Any ideas for what I can do to
> troubleshoot why the fan is always running at full blast?

Do you have any reason to believe that the fan speed can be controlled?
Does it behave better under a different OS?

Do you see any option in the BIOS to control the thermal and/or
acoustic profile? Try playing with these if they exist.

--
Jean Delvare