Re: Dell Inspiron 530 Chassis Fan Control?

On 3/16/2013 6:59 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > > On my motherboard, all fan headers have 4 pins, but there is a jumper
> > > to tell the board to treat the case fan headers as 3-pin. This is
> > > rather rare though, most motherboards have it hard-wired
> > Thanks. I will check this. Before I open up my case, is there anywhere I
> > can/should look in log files or /sys to see if the chassis fan is
> > controllable? Would this be found in a different place than the CPU fans?
>
> No, it can't be seen from the logs nor /sys. Only hardware inspection
> can tell you, and not even in all cases.

Inspiron 530 manual (downloadable) says that the processor fan has a 4-pin
connector and the chassis fan has a 3-pin connector.
Apologies as this a bit OT, but hoping someone can help me understand what's happening here. It does appear that the Inspiron has a 3-pin connector. When I power up the box, it is very quiet for about 4 or 5 minutes. After that, the fan appears to go to 100% and never quiets down again. Even when I cpufreq-set to powersave and cap the max CPU freq at 2.0 GHz for all four cores (80% of max), it still stays loud indefinitely. I've opened up the box and cleaned out all dust and visually inspected the fans, and nothing appears awry. /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp consistently reports 40.0 degrees C i.e. 40000 (I'm actually suspicious of that number because it never seems to change). Any ideas for what I can do to troubleshoot why the fan is always running at full blast?

Adam