Re: Fancontrol for intel HM77

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:03:29 +0100, Fred Grosskopf wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> i'm desperatly trying to get some fancontrol working for my laptop
> which has an Intel HM77 chipset.
>
> I followed the http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Lm_sensors guide.
>
> Everything "looks good" except after starting lm-sensors, pwmconfig
> says:
>
> /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
>
> What is the problem, is my hardware to new? How to fix?
>
> Attached you can find my "sensors-detect" log as well all IC2 related
> kernel settings.

Fan speed control on laptops is almost always achieved by either ACPI
or a vendor-specific kernel driver, not regular hwmon drivers. That
seems to be exactly your case.

For Compal laptops, there's a kernel module named - surprise surprise -
compal-laptop which you should try. I don't know what features it
offers exactly but that should be a good starting point. If it doesn't
work for your model then maybe you need a more recent version of the
driver, or support for your model needs to be added to the driver.

--
Jean Delvare