Re: coretemp.ko -- Sandy Bridge: temperature readings "biased" based on power consumption?

On 31 Oct 2012 at 6:31, Phil Pokorny wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
>    > I think that is pretty normal. Keep in mind this is the
>    > temperature within the chip core, not at the external package.
>
> And there is internal thermal paste inside the CPU package between the
> CPU die itself and the integrated heat spreader. That thermal material
> also explains why the silicon die temperature can jump so quickly. It
> has a higher deg C/W than the IHS and the heatsink on top of that.
>
> Phil P.

Hmm. Okay - I should check my thermocoupling again.

The CPU that "jumps up 30*C in a second" (and jumps down
equally fast when I turn the load off) is actually a mobile/embedded
version, i.e. it has no I.H.S. The chip is supposedly thermocoupled
straight flat to the heatsink. This is a passive heatsink, and it's
pretty massive, and I know that heatsinks tend to have quite some
thermal inertia. Theoretically this should be the optimum style of
thermocoupling in "passive cooled" computers.

The catch is, that this particular hardware setup had flawed
thermocoupling between the CPU and the heatsink (ex works). The CPU
had a pad of "thermocouple chewing gum" on it (likely Fuji Sarcon),
approx. 1.1 mm thick. That way the CPU reported 80*C in the BIOS
Setup a few dozen seconds after power-up :-)  = one core running in a
tight loop, other cores asleep, heatsink at 20*C, with the whole
computer consuming roughly 27 Watts. (Under Linux, when properly
idling, consumption dropped to 12 Watts.)

I've tried to fix the problem by inserting a sheet of 1mm copper
(about 4 by 4 cm) and by glueing it all toghether by Ceramique CMQ2 -
I couldn't use the Coollaboratory liquid (Ga+In+Sn), because the
heatsink is made of Aluminium... In a similar scenario, I used to get
maybe 10*C of a temperature gradient between a Core2 Duo and the
heatsink, and that was across a rather long aluminium "thermocouple
bridge".
In the case at hand I was fairly satisfied with the way the CPU leans
against my improvised heat spreader - I could feel it by the
screwdriver, as I was tightening the mounting bolts. Also, the square
of the SandyBridge chip is *big* compared to C2D Mobile = more heat
transfer surface for a similar wattage. Unfortunately there's no way
for me to inspect the gap with the heatsink mounted, so I'll probably
have to trust the thermal sensor :-)

I still plan to keep an eye on the mobile SandyBridge CPU's whenever
I get a chance, to get some "benchmark" / comparable readings on
other hardware. I don't meet too many SandyBridge CPU's in our
embedded computers - the boxes are dominated by the Atom and I have
to agree that even mobile SandyBridge is thermally a bit of an
overkill in those small boxes (just like the mobile C2D was).
Besides, SandyBridge is stil a bit of a newcomer in the
industrial/embedded hardware. There are some SandyBridge notebooks
around - so I'll probably have to ask my boss to let me PXE-boot into
Linux to run a comparison test on his gear...

I can see a similar jump (20-25*C) in a Core i5 Arrandale -based
notebook, where I have reasons to believe that the thermocoupling is
done right.

Hmm... interesting stuff :-)
Thanks for your insight - to everybody who responded.

Frank Rysanek