Re: No such subfeature known when sensors -s

On 14/09/12 17:37, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 05:14:45PM +0100, MrNice wrote:
On 14/09/12 12:56, Jean Delvare wrote:
Sorry I forgot to reply to the list last time, adding it back...

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 15:07:30 +0100, MrNice wrote:
On 13/09/12 10:15, Jean Delvare wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:19:39 +0100, MrNice wrote:
Following the advice
http://lm-sensors.org/browser/lm-sensors/trunk/doc/fan-divisors
This doesn't apply to the NCT6776. See in the output above, there is no
"div =" on the fan lines.

Maybe the document should be clarified.
I just did so [1], hopefully the updated document is clearer and users
will understand whether they have to read it or not.

[1] http://www.lm-sensors.org/changeset/6071

Do you know if is there any way to collect the right speeds as UEFI
values are good.
No idea. Check the motherboard documentation. If the fans are really
connected to the NCT6776, this may be a driver bug. BTW you said you're
using the w83627ehf driver from groeck, but there is a better driver
for the NCT6776 now:
   https://github.com/groeck/nct6775
Guenter, maybe this driver should be listed at
   http://roeck-us.net/linux/drivers/
so that users find it?

If the new driver doesn't help, maybe the fans are connected to another
monitoring chip.

Does the mean all the AMD FX CPU have the same issue? What to do? Is a
patch on the way?
There's no relation between fan speed monitoring and the CPU your
system is using.

Temperatures in the hardware area have a load of loose vocabulary.
I try to be accurate:
Could you confirm that CPUTIN is the temperature read by the sensor in
the socket of the motherboard called Tjunction?
I don't think so. AFAIK Tjunction refers to a temperature limit inside
the CPU, and it related to the digital thermal sensor in the CPU.
CPUTIN OTOH is an analog thermal sensor. As it is a thermistor in your
case, it is likely under the CPU, in the middle of the CPU socket.

Could you confirm that K10temp, temp1 is what AMD call Tctl (sliding
scale) accessible through D18F3xA4[CurTmp] register (from BIOS and
Kernel Developer's Guide)?
Yes, this is correct.

Could you tell me what is SYSTIN (system temp input) and AUXTIN
(auxiliary temp input)?
These are analog thermal sensor inputs. As already mentioned, AUXTIN is
apparently not used on your board, you can ignore it. SYSTIN could be
anywhere on the motherboard, we can't tell. Maybe the technical
documentation for your board has the information.

Are they in the list bellow?
I have no idea where this list comes from, so I can't really comment on
that, sorry. Other than:

TJunction is the temperature where the pins hit the board

TJunction is still a diode on the board, under the processor
This is completely wrong. At least this is not what the rest of the
world, starting with Intel technical documentation, refers to as
Tjunction.

The new document version is now clear to understand and moreover we
know why we don't need the divisor in some chips.

I installed the new driver. For around 15 minutes I had fan2 value
(about 1150 RPM).
I did some changes in the sensors3.conf file, then sensors -s, was OK.
After some try I have fan2 = 0 RPM. I did cold boot, reinstall
driver, reinstall lm-sensors, still 0 RPM.
I can't find why it's not working any more.
Any idea?

ASRock uses GPIO pins to multiplex multiple fan speed inputs to a single pin
at the NCT6776. It might be that you somehow triggered or changed a multiplexer
configuration.

Do you see fan speed(s) in the BIOS ? If you do, it might well be that you have
to do that once after powerup to connect a fan to the fan speed input of the
NCT6776, and then you might see it in the driver.

[ And, no, it is practically impossible to get the necessary information to set
the GPIO multiplexer from the board vendor. AFAIK they are using GPIO pins,
but which ones on which board is a mystery. ]

Guenter

I have an ASRock 970 Extreme4 UEFI version P2.00
In the H/W Monitor page of the UEFI/BIOS, I have the following:
CPU Temperature :    36.5 °C
M/B Temperature :    28.0 °C

CPU Fan 1 Speed : 1065 RPM (this is a pwm connector with 4 pins. I have a pwm fan) called CPU_FAN1 on the motherboard CPU Fan 2 Speed : N/A (this is a 3 pins connector. No connected fan) called CPU_FAN2 on the motherboard Chassis Fan 1 Speed : N/A (this is a pwm connector with 4 pins. No connected fan) called CHA_FAN1 on the motherboard Chassis Fan 2 Speed : 730 RPM (this is a 3 pins connector. I have a 3 pins connected fan) called CHA_FAN2 on the motherboard Chassis Fan 3 Speed : 760 RPM (this is a 3 pins connector. I have a 3 pins connected fan) called CHA_FAN3 on the motherboard Power Fan Speed : N/A (this is a 3 pins connector. No connected fan) called PWR_FAN1 on the motherboard

Vcore :    +1.328 V
+ 12.00V :    +12.144 V
+ 5.00V :    +5.136 V
+ 3.30V :    +3.280 V

lm-sensors has almost all the values but no fan speed.
I don't know why I had the CPU_FAN2 for a short time and it disappeared.
I can't understand what you suggest to have the value back. Could you be more accurate?
Thanks