Re: Strange temperature of AMD FX4100 cpu and power consumption

Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Guenter Roeck wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 06:34:16PM +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>> I'm getting this temperature after more than one hour of activity
>>> (mostly idle, load of the machine is: 0,11, 0,17, 0,21):
>>>
>>> temp1:        +14.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
>>>
>>> 14.5°C is completely impossible as the surrounding temperature is
>
> Documentation/hwmon/k10temp says:
> | There is one temperature measurement value, available as temp1_input in
> | sysfs. It is measured in degrees Celsius with a resolution of 1/8th degree.
> | Please note that it is defined as a relative value; to quote the AMD manual:
> |
> |   Tctl is the processor temperature control value, used by the platform to
> |   control cooling systems. Tctl is a non-physical temperature on an
> |   arbitrary scale measured in degrees. It does _not_ represent an actual
> |   physical temperature like die or case temperature. Instead, it specifies
> |   the processor temperature relative to the point at which the system must
> |   supply the maximum cooling for the processor's specified maximum case
> |   temperature and maximum thermal power dissipation.

I already read this, too.

My point of view is: If sensors says: "temp1: +14.5°C (high: +70°C)"
then it is a temperature of +14.5°C and nothing else. If this value
isn't a physical temperature (like the room temperature e.g.), why is it
called temperature if it isn't one?

However, if it is an instrument to manage a fan (or maybe a complete
cooling system), I most probably would use a percentaged value, which
reveals something about the actual required cooling capacity for the
individual system.
At least it would avoid misunderstanding IMHO.

jm2c,
thanks,
kind regards,
Andreas Hartmann