Re: Configuration for EL620-C motherboard

Dear Jean,
Wow, I thought ISA slots died 10 years ago! I'm a bit curious what kind
of cards you plug in them and if they work OK with recent Linux
kernels. Some times ago, Alan Cox wanted to kill ISA support altogether!

ISA has vanished from most server/desktop PCs in the last 10 years but is still seen in industrial control applications due to the legacy (and often bespoke) hardware and software used.

Usually to get ISA slots now you need to look at 19" rack-mount PCs using a "single board computer" (SBC) that plugs in to backplanes with various combinations of PCI & ISA slots.

Even some 'new' standards like PC/104 are really ISA with a different connector!

However, the normal ATX style of motherboard provided by the EL620-C was better overall value for our application as we only need 2*ISA and 1*PCI cards, and offered us the speed of a Core 2 Quad-Q8400 processor (not quite up to date, but a generation or two ahead of they typical SBC) along with dual RS232 and gigabit Ethernet ports.

In our case it is to support custom ISA cards we designed for satellite reception antenna control 21 years ago, and the DOS-based software still works reliably using dosemu on Linux as that allows controlled direct hardware access (for I/O and IRQ at least) just as DOS used to, but with all of the other benefits of network access and security.

If it works why change it!

I had limited experience with DFI so far, good to know they have great
support.

I was surprised to get a decent answer in under a day, I wish more companies were like that!

Overall it looks very good. Thanks for your contribution, I have added
it to our wiki:
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Configurations/DFI/EL620-C

Thanks.

# We need to set voltage limits. Note you may need to adapt in0 depending on your CPU
     set in0_min   0.9
     set in0_max   1.7

1.7 seems a little high for a Socket 775 CPU. I don't think any of them
can take more than 1.5 V. OTOH some models can go as low as 0.85 V.

The motherboard takes a range of CPUs so it was a guess, we were running at 1.1V.

Looking at the compatibility list:

http://img.dfi.com/Upload/CatalogElement/ACP/ATX-EL620-C-Compatibility-List-111025.pdf

The voltages range from 0.85V to 1.5V as you say, so maybe that should be changed to be 0.80 to 1.55V?

# DDR3 voltage ranges?
     set in5_min   1.30
     set in5_max   1.65

According to Wikipedia quoting JEDEC, "1.575 volts should be considered
the absolute maximum when memory stability is the foremost
consideration." Which incidentally is 1.5V + 5%, so in line with ATX12V
rules. For the lower end, it depends if the board supports low-voltage
(1.35V) DDR3.

This was based on the info from the Crucial site when looking for 2GB DDR3 to match:

"Voltage refers to the power consumed by a module. In the past, most DDR3 memory voltage ranged from 1.5 - 1.65v. More recently, dual 1.35/1.5 voltage modules came available at Crucial.com. While the lower voltage memory has some advantages over high voltage (namely lower power consumption), your system must support it in order to realize the benefits."

I guess nobody is going to over-clock an industrial PC so maybe it would be sensible to lower the upper limit a little, perhaps to 1.58V?

# Fans
    label fan1		"System fan"
    label fan2		"CPU Fan"
    label fan3		"2nd fan"

This is a rather poor label. Either don't give it a label at all, or
use the connector name on the board, or a name describing the intended
usage for the extra fan (e.g. "Front fan", "Rear fan", "PSU fan"...)

The motherboard actually has two 3-pin sockets labelled SYSTEM_FAN and 2nd_FAN respectively!

# Fan minimums, disable fan1 & fan2 as a case fan is not always connected

I guess you mean "fan1 & fan3"?

Yes, just a typo.

# Temperatures. Can we assume temp2 limit for CPU is set by BIOS?

Very likely, yes. You may even be able to chose the limit in the BIOS
setup screens.

I suspect so, but as the current PC is in use I can't check this until the remainder are ready. When I checked it before creating the sensors config file it read:

temp1:        +28.0°C  (high = -29.0°C, hyst = +38.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
temp2:        +23.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
temp3:        +36.5°C  (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)  sensor = thermistor

While temp1 clearly has incorrect limits, the values of 80C & 75C for the temp2 = CPU is not unreasonable.

Regards,
Paul
--
Dr. Paul S. Crawford