Re: ASUS Sabertooth Z77 / nct6775.ko report

Greetings, Torbjцrn Цsterdahl!

> Another oddity is that sometimes(!?) I am not able to set values using
> sudo, i.e.
> sudo echo "1" > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/device/pwm3_stop_output_enable
> It does not matter if I use 'sys/devices/platform' or '/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/'
> I often need to change to a root console first. Since I have not set any
> root password I am using 'sudo -i' which works nicely.

Having no root password is a bad idea.
And to your issue: Some modern Linux distributions have higher security
policy, which prevent rights inheritance on redirections.
The reason is to have better security in situations, when an unprivileged user
running SUID root programs, such as network diagnostic tools.

Without this, it's possible to run something like
 ping -d -f something > /sbin/init
...with devastating success.

To work around such limitation, try
echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/device/pwm3_stop_output_enable

--
WBR,
Andrey Repin (hell-for-yahoo@xxxxxxxx) 10.06.2012, <16:47>

Sorry for my terrible english...