Re: ASUS Sabertooth Z77 / nct6775.ko report

Sam 2012-06-09 klockan 23:30 -0700 skrev Guenter Roeck:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 02:35:18PM -0400, Torbjörn Österdahl wrote:
> > I have got a Asus P8Z77-M PRO and have similar experiences.
> >
> > - The standard lm-sensors package that comes with my distribution, (i:3.3.1/
> > Ubuntu), does not include support for setting PWM fan speeds.
> > - By downloading and compiling the nct6775 module from https://github.com/
> > groeck/nct6775 these things work to statisfaction.
> > - Temperatures as read from the chipset is low. Compared to temperatures
> > measured by a thermometer in the case they are lower and does not go up as
> > quickly when they system load increases. I.e. my idle system have a chipset
> > temperature of 28 Degrees - they temperature in the case is meassured to 32.
> > The loaded system reports a chipset temperature of 32 but the thermometer in
> > the case reports 44!
> > - Case temperature as read from the acpiz module are identical though.
>
> I can't really comment on that. No idea how accurate the sensors are.
> Some of the sensors (eg the CPU sensor if measured through PECI) are extremely
> inaccurate at low temperatures.
>
> > - hysteresis values, i.e. pwm3_auto_point1_temp_hyst, behave strange. It is
> > depenant on the corresponding temp field and often takes negative values.
>
> The hysteresis should show a constant difference to the matching temperature,
> and is displayed as absolute temperature.
>
> For example, assume pwm3_auto_point1_temp_hyst is set to 20000 and pwm3_auto_point1_temp
> is set to 60000. If you change pwm3_auto_point1_temp to 30000, pwm3_auto_point1_temp_hyst
> should change to -10000. Is that what you see ?

Yes. It reflects my observations.

My expectation was that I should set the 'hysteresis' to determine how
sensitive the circuit reacted to deviations from the target temperature.
Now it appears that it does not matter if I set it or not, though.

> > - In Thermal Cruise mode it sometimes stops the fan completely which I consider
> > unnecessary. I was not able to prevent this.
>
> pwmX_stop_output is the lowest pwm value. It is only used if pwmX_stop_output_enable
> is set, otherwise the output drops to 0. Can you try this ?

Yes. That works. Perfect.

> Thanks,
> Guenter

Another oddity is that sometimes(!?) I am not able to set values using
sudo, i.e. 'sudo echo "1"
> /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/device/pwm3_stop_output_enable'. It does not
matter if I use 'sys/devices/platform' or '/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/' I
often need to change to a root console first. Since I have not set any
root password I am using 'sudo -i' which works nicely.