Re: ASRock 970 Extreme3

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 16:07 -0400, James wrote:
> On 05/21/12 14:11, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 09:45 -0400, James wrote:
> >> I use the nct6776-isa-0290
> >> Adapter: ISA adapter
> >>
> >> I have 3 fans:
> >> 1. The CPU fan (about 3300 RPM)
> >> 2. The rear case fan (about 1050 RPM)
> >> 3. The front case fan (about 1350 RPM)
> >>
> >> Do the fans in Power Supplies typically get monitored?
> >>
> >> I have 6 fan connectors:
> >> 1. Chassis fan connector (#12 on the motherboard)
> >> 2. Chassis fan connector (#15 on the motherboard)
> >> 3. Chassis fan connector (#2 on the motherboard)
> >> 1. CPU fan connector (#6 on the motherboard)
> >> 2. CPU fan connector (#5 on the motherboard)
> >> 1. Power fan connector (#10 on the motherboard)
> >>
> >> Maybe someone can see a pattern.
> >>
> >> 1. I plugged the rear case fan in #12
> >> fan1 was 1060 RPM (the rear case fan probably)
> >> fan2 was 3300 RPM (the CPU  fan probably)
> >> other fans reported 0 RPMs
> >>
> >> 2. I plugged the rear case fan in #2
> >> all fans reported 0 RPM
> >> other fans reported 0 RPMs
> >>
> >> 3. I plugged the rear case fan in #12 and the front case fan in #15.
> >> fan1 was 1053 RPM (the rear case fan probably)
> >> fan2 was 3316 (the CPU fan probably)
> >> other fans reported 0 RPMs
> >>
> >> 4. I plugged the rear case fan in #10 and the front case fan in #12.
> >> fan1 was 1384 (the front case fan probably)
> >> other fans reported 0 RPMs
> >
> > Problem is that ASRock uses a GPIO based multiplexer to connect the
> > fans. So there is no 1:1 relationship between fans connectors and fan
> > attributes. The GPIO pins used vary from board to board.
> >
> > There are some possibilities to support this, such as to modify the
> > fancontrol script to also support setting gpio pins (if there is a gpio
> > driver for the given HW), or to somehow implement the necessary support
> > in the kernel. But those are all not really good solutions, and there
> > are some questions if it can be made to work reliably in the first
> > place. The AIDA64 folks tried to implement it but gave up (see
> > http://forums.aida64.com/index.php?/topic/386-asrocks-fan-controller-sensor-trouble/), which is not a good sign.
> >
> > Guenter
> >

> It looks like I can get two fans.
> So can I assume that there are two sensors for the 6 connectors and 3 are multiplexed for each sensor?
> Is it correct that there are GPIO pins to switch which fan the sensor reads from?

I really don't know details. Supposedly there is a .xml file somewhere
in the ASRock software describing which connector is connected to which
fan, and which fans are multiplexed. The NCT6776F has up to 5 fan
inputs, so theoretically you could get up to 5 fans working. But then I
have no idea which header connects to which fan input, and which headers
are multiplexed.

Guenter