Re: ASRock 970 Extreme3

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 09:45 -0400, James wrote:
> I use the nct6776-isa-0290
> Adapter: ISA adapter
>
> I have 3 fans:
> 1. The CPU fan (about 3300 RPM)
> 2. The rear case fan (about 1050 RPM)
> 3. The front case fan (about 1350 RPM)
>
> Do the fans in Power Supplies typically get monitored?
>
> I have 6 fan connectors:
> 1. Chassis fan connector (#12 on the motherboard)
> 2. Chassis fan connector (#15 on the motherboard)
> 3. Chassis fan connector (#2 on the motherboard)
> 1. CPU fan connector (#6 on the motherboard)
> 2. CPU fan connector (#5 on the motherboard)
> 1. Power fan connector (#10 on the motherboard)
>
> Maybe someone can see a pattern.
>
> 1. I plugged the rear case fan in #12
> fan1 was 1060 RPM (the rear case fan probably)
> fan2 was 3300 RPM (the CPU  fan probably)
> other fans reported 0 RPMs
>
> 2. I plugged the rear case fan in #2
> all fans reported 0 RPM
> other fans reported 0 RPMs
>
> 3. I plugged the rear case fan in #12 and the front case fan in #15.
> fan1 was 1053 RPM (the rear case fan probably)
> fan2 was 3316 (the CPU fan probably)
> other fans reported 0 RPMs
>
> 4. I plugged the rear case fan in #10 and the front case fan in #12.
> fan1 was 1384 (the front case fan probably)
> other fans reported 0 RPMs

Problem is that ASRock uses a GPIO based multiplexer to connect the
fans. So there is no 1:1 relationship between fans connectors and fan
attributes. The GPIO pins used vary from board to board.

There are some possibilities to support this, such as to modify the
fancontrol script to also support setting gpio pins (if there is a gpio
driver for the given HW), or to somehow implement the necessary support
in the kernel. But those are all not really good solutions, and there
are some questions if it can be made to work reliably in the first
place. The AIDA64 folks tried to implement it but gave up (see
http://forums.aida64.com/index.php?/topic/386-asrocks-fan-controller-sensor-trouble/), which is not a good sign.

Guenter