Re: NCT6776 global registers 0x1c=0 and 0x24=0x5c onASRock Extreme4

Hi,
From: "Guenter Roeck" <guenter.roeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:01 PM
To: "Harald Judt" <h.judt@xxxxxx>
Cc: <lm-sensors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NCT6776 global registers 0x1c=0 and 0x24=0x5c onASRock Extreme4

Hi,
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 09:50:31AM -0500, Harald Judt wrote:
Hi,

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 19:02:19 +0200, Ian Dobson wrote:
>> Hi,

I own an Asrock P67 Extreme4 too and have the same problem. It can be
solved by following Mike Campin's instructions, which I successfully
incorporated into /etc/init.d/lm_sensors. There is no BIOS available
that fixes this issue, but I noticed that SpeedFan for Windows
(www.almico.com/speedfan.php) seems to do something similar, otherwise
it would show only 2 fans too. So maybe we could get that into
lm_sensors, even if the BIOS is at fault here?

See above ... worst case this can result in defective hardware if misconfigured.

We could possibly introduce some kind of module parameter, but I don't feel
too comfortable with that - wrong values may still blow up the hardware.
Any opinions, anyone ?

Guenter

I wouldn't recommend a module parameter, leave the driver as it is.
If there is a hack (using isaset) just use that. It's too easy for a user to set a module parameter hoping that it'll fix some random problem, and if the module kills the hardware, then the module is too blame.

Asrock should fix the BIOS, that's the correct option.

Regards
Ian Dobson