From: Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Randy <singularity_2@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: lm-sensors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, June 6, 2011 11:48:12 PM
Subject: Re:  i2c device w/o registers

Hi Randy,

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:25:10 -0700 (PDT), Randy wrote:
> I have an ADC (MCP3424) that doesn't use registers/commands.
>
> To configure the device, you simply write the configuration to the appropriate

> I2C device address.
>
> To read the sensor data, you simply issue a read to the device, which will
> return the ADC sample and the current control register (3 or 4 bytes total,
> depending on mode).
>
> All the commands in i2c-tools and the i2c drivers, except for the read/write
> byte commands, want to take an additional register parameter.  This extra param
>
> going over the wire messes up the chip.
>
> Is there any simple way to support devices that don't support registers?  I
> searched the archive, and found some requests for a i2c_smbus_read_word()
> command, but that's about it.

This question would have better been asked on the linux-i2c list,
methinks.

Anyway, the I2C commands you need aren't part of the SMBus command
subset, so you have to use raw I2C messaging. The functions you need
are i2c_master_send() and i2c_master_recv() in kernel space. In
user space, you'd simply call read() and write() on the device node. I
don't think there's any example of this in i2c-tools, but the i2c-dev
driver supports it.

--
Jean Delvare