i2c device w/o registers

I have an ADC (MCP3424) that doesn't use registers/commands.

To configure the device, you simply write the configuration to the appropriate
I2C device address.

To read the sensor data, you simply issue a read to the device, which will
return the ADC sample and the current control register (3 or 4 bytes total,
depending on mode).

All the commands in i2c-tools and the i2c drivers, except for the read/write
byte commands, want to take an additional register parameter.  This extra param
going over the wire messes up the chip.

Is there any simple way to support devices that don't support registers?  I
searched the archive, and found some requests for a i2c_smbus_read_word()
command, but that's about it.

thanks,

Randy