Re: System instability with Supermicro X8DTi-F and w83795...

Your own experience says that fancontrol, lmsensors and a BMC do not have a way to coordinate actions which leads to errors and faults.

And as Jean has said, the Winbond chip has a paged register set that requires coordination to access. The BMC code has now way to coordinate access with the OS.

Jean mentions thermal trip points. I believe that the winbond chip includes it's own autonomous fan speed control seperate from the BMC monitoring. What if you just reprogram the fan control curves in the Winbond chip once at boot if you don't like the ES BIOS fan control curve?

Otherwise, no I don't think what you want is possible.

How hot were the CPU under full load with the ES fan curve that you felt they needed to be colder?

Phil P.

--
Philip Pokorny, RHCE
Chief Hardware Architect