Re: tempX_source sysfs attribute needed ?

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 13:03 -0500, Ian Dobson wrote:

> [...]
tempX_label is a textual description, so I think it does make sense for
this driver.

> Also with the nuv chips what happens if you change the source for a
> temperature input that's used by smartfan? The BIOS should know what's best
> and playing with the fan control inputs could cause all sorts of problems.
> During my hacking in the nct6776f driver I managed to screw up the smartfan
> control so much that the temperature setpoint for one of the fans was 90Âc
> and the fan stopped.

Yes, that is always a risk.

I don't really know if tempX_source adds any real value - that is why I
was asking for feedback. Ultimately the information is very board
specific, so providing tempX_label for the Nuvoton chips and using - if
ever needed - platform data for the max6639 may well be good enough.

Thanks,
Guenter