Re: tempX_source sysfs attribute needed ?

From: "Guenter Roeck" <guenter.roeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:10 PM
To: <lm-sensors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  tempX_source sysfs attribute needed ?

Hi all,

in the recent months, I have seen two instances where a sysfs attribute
identifying the source associated with a temperature sensor would have been
helpful.

One is max6639. For this chip, the source of the second temperature channel
can be configured to be local or remote.

The others are W83677HG-B, NCT6775F, and NCT6776F. Those chips have four to six
temperature channels with a configurable source.

Current approach is to stick with whatever is configured by the BIOS for the Nuvoton chips, and to use the local source for the max6639 driver. For the Nuvoton chips, my prototype driver for NCT6775F and NCT6776F reports the temperature source
in tempX_label.

Possible solutions might be:
- Stick with the current situation, ie do nothing.
- Use module parameters. Doesn't really work well for max6639 since it affects
 all instances of the driver, and if the driver is built into the kernel.
- Use platform data. Might work for max6639, but not for the Nuvoton chips. - Define a new sysfs attribute to make the temperature source configurable,
 and to report the current selection.

Any thoughts/comments ?

Thanks,
Guenter

Hi Guenter,

I actually think it's a good idea (tempX_label), I've already seen that sensors can use this information if you don't have a label defined in sensors3.conf. It actually makes is alot easier to configure the sensors3.conf file correctly. I'm not sure if _label is the correct name, it really describes the source of the signal.

Also with the nuv chips what happens if you change the source for a temperature input that's used by smartfan? The BIOS should know what's best and playing with the fan control inputs could cause all sorts of problems. During my hacking in the nct6776f driver I managed to screw up the smartfan control so much that the temperature setpoint for one of the fans was 90°c and the fan stopped.

Regards
Ian Dobson