Re: Standalone driver for W83677HG-I, NCT6775F, NCT6776F

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Guenter Roeck
<guenter.roeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 09:47:22AM -0500, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> [ ... ]
>> >
>> > The second line happens on the first call to 'sensors'.  Rebooting
>> > triggers it again, but rmmod/insmod does not.
>> >
>> That is as expected. The driver loads the sensor value, detects that it is out of range,
>> and automatically adjusts the divisor register.
>>
>> Usually, in other drivers, it is possible to write into the divisor register.
>> This can then be used to initialize the divisor to a reasonable value at startup.
>> For some reason that is not implemented for this driver; I don't know why.
>>
>> > Should the driver just fix up the divisors on load instead of on first read?
>> >
>> No, the divisor should be writable so you can initialize it at startup.
>> I'll see if I can fix that.
>>
> Ok, I know the reason. The divider is set automatically when the minimum speed is configured.
> This is because both the current speed and the minimum speed are affected by the divider
> settings, and the divider value has to work for both.
>
> So what you'll have to do is to set a minimum speed, and the problem will go away.

I admit I'm a bit confused as to what fan2_min does.  I have a minimum
(to warn?) fan speed set in BIOS, which seems to have nothing to do
with the initial value of fan2_min.  Changing fan2_min will cause
fan2_alarm to become set or unset, when I decrease min below input,
alarm stays set until I read it once.

This is rather curious -- it means that the sequence:
echo 200 >fan2_min
echo 100 >fan2_min
cat fan2_input
cat fan2_alarm

shows alarm=0 but

echo 200 >fan2_min
echo 100 >fan2_min
cat fan2_alarm
cat fan2_input

shows alarm=1

In any case, what does alarm (and, hence, min) do?  Userspace can
compare two numbers on its own, but no uevent seems to be generated
when an alarm is hit.

--Andy