Re: How to distinguish sensors on Xeon multi-socket system

2011/2/2 Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:34:44 +0300, 4ernov wrote:

>> > These are badly written applications, which need to be fixed
>> > regardless of what the coretemp did, does, or will do. Label uniqueness
>> > across multiple sensor devices isn't and has never been guaranteed. We
>> > only guarantee uniqueness of symbols within each given chip.
>> > Application which needs unique keys must use the combination of the
>> > chip name + the symbol name; definitely not the label.
>>
>> That's right and this is what I want to do with one of them but the
>> question is how to do it properly. Thank you for suggestion on unique
>> keys. What is "symbol name"? Does it stand for sensors_feature struct
>> or label?
>
> Symbol names are things like "in0" or "temp1". Which in libsensors
> indeed corresponds to sensors_feature structure.
>
>> > (...)
>> > In the meantime, a workaround would be to align the hwmon device
>> > numbers with the CPU number, so that the user can at least look-up
>> > in /proc/cpuinfo to find out who is who. But there is no guarantee for
>> > the CPU enumeration order to stay the same across reboots, so the
>> > interest would be limited in practice.
>>
>> Is it about lm-sensors or the applications? As for the applications I
>
> The workaround would be in the coretemp driver. But it would only let
> you look-up manually which coretemp entry corresponds to which physical
> CPU. It wouldn't help with bogus applications which rely on label
> uniqueness.
>
>> think it's the possible solution because the list of sensors could be
>> generated on every startup of the app and if there were some mapping
>> between hwmon and, say, 'core id' in /proc/cpuinfo, the processors can
>> be recognized.
>
> Really, I don't think we want to invest any development time in this.
> Applications shouldn't have to do this, the coretemp driver should
> simply group sensors together when they belong to the same CPU.

Ok, so I'll simply use "the chip name + the symbol name" as you
suggested for now without any hints on what the sensor is. I believe
correct enumeration of sensors is better anyway than ignoring some of
sensors because of relying on unique labels.

Thank you all very much for help and detailed information!