Re: user question about how to load xeontemp

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 13:52 -0500, Jerry Lin wrote:
[ ... ]

> Questions:
> 1) What's the name of the jc42 module that I would need to load via modprobe?

jc42. Problem is that support for it was added in a later version of the
kernel.

> 2a) sensors-detect mentions copying from "prog/init/lm_sensors.init"
> -- where is that prog directory?
> 2b) Does doing that copy of lm_sensors.init take the place of
> copying-and-pasting the module lines into the /etc/modules file in the
> older version of the script?
> 3) Is "ipmisensors" the same as "ipmi-si" (as in "modprobe ipmi-si")?

I don't know the status of ipmi integration and ipmi module names. There
is the OpenIPMI project, and they have lots of patches to improve ipmi
support. Jean may know better than me if/when/how those patches will be
integrated into the mainline kernel.

> 4) Why is sensors-detect able to detect the sensor via the coretemp
> driver, but modprobe not able to load it?

Because your version of the coretemp driver is old and doesn't support
your CPU.

> 5) Is there something else that I should be doing?

Easiest would be if you could switch to a recent kernel (2.6.37 or at
least 2.6.36). Otherwise you'll have to backport the coretemp driver (as
Jean has tried) as well as the jc42 driver.

Guenter