Re: driver for emc1023

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 15:50 -0500, Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:39:32 -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 14:18 -0500, Anish Patel wrote:
> > > here is the driver for the emc1023 and the makefile patch.
> > > i've spent a couple hours now trying to figure out how to create a patch
> > > for a new file, and can't find anything.
> > > if someone would care to point me in the right direction i'll resubmit,
> > > but at this point i am tired of trying to figure this out.
> > > Doc/SubmittingDrivers and SubmittingPatches is no help on how to do this.
> >
> > Nowadays, pretty much everyone uses git.
>
> I very much doubt it.

Ok, point taken.

> > Clone a new kernel tree from
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git.
>
> You're suggesting Anish to download over 1 GB of kernel data history
> just to write one small patch?

Guess so. Didn't really occur to me that might be a problem.

> > Make your changes. Commit locally into your git repository. If
> > necessary, use "git rebase -i" to merge multiple commits into one when
> > you are ready to submit the driver.
> >
> > Generate a patch file, for example for the most recent commit, with "git
> > format-patch -s HEAD~1".
>
> Even me have never used these git commands. I doubt that pointing an
> inexperienced developer in that direction is going to work.

Hey, even I learned to use it ;)

> If anything, quilt is one order of magnitude easier to deal with IMHO,
> and it doesn't require downloading anything Anish doesn't already have
> (short of quilt itself, but it's pretty small.)

Fine with me too. For whatever reason, I never got it to work, though,
so I ended up sticking with git. Guess it is for the individual to
decide if git or quilt is easier to deal with ...

Cheers,
Guenter