Re: driver for emc1023

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:39:32 -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 14:18 -0500, Anish Patel wrote:
> > here is the driver for the emc1023 and the makefile patch.
> > i've spent a couple hours now trying to figure out how to create a patch
> > for a new file, and can't find anything.
> > if someone would care to point me in the right direction i'll resubmit,
> > but at this point i am tired of trying to figure this out.
> > Doc/SubmittingDrivers and SubmittingPatches is no help on how to do this.
>
> Nowadays, pretty much everyone uses git.

I very much doubt it.

> Clone a new kernel tree from
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git.

You're suggesting Anish to download over 1 GB of kernel data history
just to write one small patch?

> Make your changes. Commit locally into your git repository. If
> necessary, use "git rebase -i" to merge multiple commits into one when
> you are ready to submit the driver.
>
> Generate a patch file, for example for the most recent commit, with "git
> format-patch -s HEAD~1".

Even me have never used these git commands. I doubt that pointing an
inexperienced developer in that direction is going to work.

If anything, quilt is one order of magnitude easier to deal with IMHO,
and it doesn't require downloading anything Anish doesn't already have
(short of quilt itself, but it's pretty small.)

--
Jean Delvare