Re: powerX_alarm sysfs attribute

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:00:23AM -0500, Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 07:12:09 -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > >
> > > I have no problem with this, at least as long as libsensors doesn't
> > > offer a way to bind current sensors to voltage sensors.

> > > in2_* doesn't seem right for a voltage output alarm. I'd say such a
> > > feature doesn't belong to the hwmon ABI in the first place.
> >
> > Why not ? You lost me there. It optionally monitors the voltage it controls,
> > and provides the monitored value(s) to the user. Many of the other recent chips
> > do the same.  ltc4215, ltc4245, ltc4261, smm655, and pretty much all PMBus devices.
> > The ltc42xx devices act as voltage switch (on/off) and don't otherwise affect
> > the controlled voltage.
> > For ltc4215, in2_input is still connected to a a sensor input (AD2IN or so), as is
> > the FB pin (which causes the alarm if the voltage connected to it drops below a
> > certain level). It doesn't make sense to state that the monitored voltage can not
> > be reported through hwmon just because it may be a voltage it controls.
>
> Thanks for clarifying. I didn't read the datasheet, and what Ira wrote
> confused me. If the alarm is related to the value of in2_input, then of
> course in2_alarm, in2_min_alarm (assuming in2_min is present) or
> in2_max_alarm (assuming in2_max is present) makes sense.

Is that an implied requirement for supporting min_alarm ? Reason for asking is that many chips
have limit alarms but no matching (readable/settable) limit values. ltc4215, ltc4245, and ltc4261
are examples. Alarm status is determined by a voltage on a pin exceeding a hardcoded limit,
and the actual voltage on a pin is determined by external resistor arrays.
The ltc4245 and ltc4261 drivers already provide min_alarm and/or max_alarm but not min and max.

> BTW, powerX_alarm makes no sense at all if powerX_input is computed, as
> is the case for the ltc4215 according to Ira.

Agreed. It needs to be changed to in2_alarm or in2_min_alarm.

Guenter