Re: powerX_alarm sysfs attribute

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 08:58:58AM -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking through libsensors and the hwmon sysfs ABI to identify and fix
> inconsistencies.
>
> One problem I noticed is powerX_alarm, which is defined as "system is drawing
> more power than the cap allows".
>
> powerX_cap is defined as " ... The *_cap files only appear if the cap is known
> to be enforced by hardware".
>
> Now there are conditions where power limits are defined and supported,
> but the hardware does not enforce it. Similar, there are devices reporting power
> alarms not associated with cap enforcement. Examples are ltc4215 and PMBus devices.
> powerX_alarm is supported by the ltc4215 driver, but there is no _cap attribute,
> and the alarm is not associated with a maximum, thus a reported alarm doesn't
> really reflect the ABI.

In the ltc4215, the power1_alarm occurs when the output voltage of the
chip is outside a certain range. This range is specified by external
resistors, specific to each application. They are not required to be a
specific value by the hardware.

I guess that the ltc4215 driver's use of powerX_alarm doesn't follow the
ABI document.

In essence, the power1_alarm is connected to the chip's power good
output (negated). Should the ABI have a powerX_good or powerX_fail
attribute?

Ira