Re: IT8721F fan control?

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 19:13:54 +0200, Alexandros Diamantidis wrote:
> * Luca Tettamanti [2010-11-08 13:53]:
> > > atk0110-acpi-0
> > > CPU Fan Speed:    675000 RPM  (min =  600 RPM)
> >
> > There's something wrong with the reading of this fan. Can you send me
> > a copy of the DSDT table (/sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT)?
>
> Oops, I hadn't noticed that!
>
> In fact, that fan speed is usually read correctly, but intermittently
> jumps to some absurd value. I don't think it's a problem of the driver,
> since I see this in the BIOS "system info" screen as well.

This is a common problem when using external fan speed control
solutions (potentiometers, fanbus and the like.) The degraded power
signal makes it harder for the tachometer to sample the speed signal.

I presume that some self-controlled fans could also suffer from the
same problem, depending on the exact implementation.

--
Jean Delvare