Re: local macro

> This is the problem with having ADC drivers in drivers/hwmon. These are
> versatile devices, they can be used for voltage monitoring but also for
> a variety of other things, and the desired interface depends on that.
> Runtime gain changes is not desirable at all for a voltage monitoring
> device.
>
> A solution to this may be to move the ADC driver itself somewhere else,
> and have a dummy driver in hwmon/ merely adding a hwmon-style interface
> on top of the main driver. Other such dummy driver could be written for
> other use cases of the ADC. I think this is what the s3c-hwmon driver
> is doing, and maybe others.
>
> --
> Jean Delvare

I think there is slight misunderstanding about where the gain is, and
how I plan on handling it. inX_input always returns in units of
volts*10,000. If you set the gain to 20 the only difference is that if
you try and read a voltage over 0.125 then it will be out of range.

I understand there are hwmon devices that are dependent on external
amplifiers & dividers, but that is not the case here.

thanks,
Paul