Re: [patch 00/36] New w83795 driver

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 13:07:40 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:52:06 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > You've gotten yourself a tester: I have one of those in my main desktop
> > > (SuperMicro C7X58 v1.1).  I just have to backport the driver to 2.6.32.y
> > > to test it there.
> >
> > You don't even have to, as I did it for you already:
> > http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/w83795/
>
> Thanks.  Will use.
>
> > If you find any problem with the driver, please let me know!
>
> I will even try to send patches :-)

Thanks :)

> > (Note: monitoring should work OK now, but I didn't have the time to
> > work on fan speed control yet, so I expect bugs in this area.)
>
> I can try to compare the montoring results with the userspace driver
> included in SuperODoctor II.  The first version of the driver (before
> your patches) had inconsistentices.
>
> I will have to read the chip's datasheet to check if my hardware setup
> will let me help test PWM control.
>
> The C7X58/S8SAX BIOS is supposed to put the chip in some sort of
> closed-loop fan control mode if you tell it to, but there are issues
> when mixing 3-pin and 4-pin fans in the same system (or at least
> SuperMicro cautions agains such a setup.  It might be just a lazy BIOS,
> or it might be a chip restriction)... and I have a mix of 3-pin and
> 4-pin fans.

I have similar restrictions on my Asus Z8NA-D6 board. Both CPU fans
have to be either 4-pin or 3-pin for control to work, they can't be
mixed. Same goes for case fans, they have to be all 3-pin or all 4-pin,
otherwise control doesn't work. There are jumpers on the board to
switch between 3-pin and 4-pin setups.

--
Jean Delvare