Re: [patch 00/36] New w83795 driver

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:52:06 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > > This is a new driver for the Winbond/Nuvoton W83795G/ADG hardware
> > > monitoring chips. The original code was contributed by Wei Song, a
> > > former employee of Nuvoton. I've fixed and improved a lot of things
> > > on top of his work.
> >
> > You've gotten yourself a tester: I have one of those in my main desktop
> > (SuperMicro C7X58 v1.1).  I just have to backport the driver to 2.6.32.y
> > to test it there.
>
> You don't even have to, as I did it for you already:
> http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/w83795/

Thanks.  Will use.

> If you find any problem with the driver, please let me know!

I will even try to send patches :-)

> (Note: monitoring should work OK now, but I didn't have the time to
> work on fan speed control yet, so I expect bugs in this area.)

I can try to compare the montoring results with the userspace driver
included in SuperODoctor II.  The first version of the driver (before
your patches) had inconsistentices.

I will have to read the chip's datasheet to check if my hardware setup
will let me help test PWM control.

The C7X58/S8SAX BIOS is supposed to put the chip in some sort of
closed-loop fan control mode if you tell it to, but there are issues
when mixing 3-pin and 4-pin fans in the same system (or at least
SuperMicro cautions agains such a setup.  It might be just a lazy BIOS,
or it might be a chip restriction)... and I have a mix of 3-pin and
4-pin fans.

  Henrique Holschuh