Re: PMBus support in Linux

> > So, the approach I see (unless I miss something) would be writing an
> > hwmon-I2C-driver named pmbus-devices.c or so which covers the generic
> > functionality and provides some hooks for manufacturer extensions, if those are
> > necessary? (Altough I'd hope a number of devices would be covered by the
> > generic driver) Makes sense?
> >
> That would be one option. It would require either a register() API call, or a table
> of supported chips, or a combination of both, to identify how many channels
> (or pages, in PMBus terminology) per chip are supported and to identify supported
> objects/registers.

I am missing the details here, i.e. what data is needed to describe a device
and is the data static or can it be retrieved/updated at runtime. A decision
between tables[] or register() or both depends probably on that.

> The other option would be to write separate drivers (one for each chip) and not provide
> a common infrastructure. Not sure if that is a good idea, though; I personally prefer
> the first option.

Same here. It will be a lot easier to maintain the code dealing with generic
PMBus commands if it is centralized.

Regards,

   Wolfram

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Wolfram Sang                |