Re: Wrong temperatures reported for Core2Duo CPU in Intel DG965WH motherboard

>> Sorry for the double-post, but I meant to re-iterate just
>> for completeness' sake: the idle/loaded temps reported by
>> lm-sensors+coretemp under Linux are ~73C/93C, in contrast
>> to the lower temperatures reported by the 3 Windows apps
>> mentioned above.
>
> Thinking in relative terms, your system is running under Windows at -31
> idle and -10 under heavy load; Linux at -27 idle and -7 under heavy
> load. So the bottom line is that your system runs hotter in Linux than
> Windows. You should check if you have services running that suck your
> CPU, or, if you self-built your kernel, if you missed some CPU-related
> options such as CONFIG_CPU_IDLE, ACPI, etc. And also make sure you have
> the acpi_cpufreq and cpufreq_conservative drivers loaded and used. The
> "powertop" utility might come in handy to track such issues.
>
> The 20°C difference between idle and heavy load seems reasonable, my own
> mobile Core Duo CPU has an even larger difference (37°C!). The 7°C
> margin is more problematic, but that being said, I just checked mine
> and it's running only 12°C below the limit under heavy load... That's
> not so different from yours. So maybe these CPUs really run hot and so
> be it.

That makes sense.  And yeah, I do generally have tons of stuff running
under Linux, so the system doesn't spend much time being entirely idle.

Well I've just upgraded my PC's case to this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233049

It's nothing super fancy, but it does have one of those side-vents with a
duct going straight to the CPU, and it also has a 120mm rear exhaust fan
(plus a spot in the front for an intake fan).  My old case was a nice,
solid In-Win case, but it was about 10 years old, and had no case fans at
all -- not even spots for them -- and the CPU's fan was almost right
against the side of the PSU.  So cooling in there was pretty suboptimal.

This new case is a huge improvement: my CPU is idling around 63-65C now,
compared to 73-75C in the old case.  Under load it goes as high as the
mid-80s, not into the 90s as in the old case.

I'd like it to be even cooler, and will probably get a front intake fan
next, but I'm really happy with this upgrade, especially because it's
solved my main complaint: the fan noise.  It's super quiet now because the
CPU fan and rear case fan are spinning pretty slowly, and only rarely
speed up -- as opposed to the CPU fan being obnoxious nearly 24/7 in the
old case.

--
Anthony DiSante
http://nodivisions.com/