Re: adt746x hard shut question

Hi Reimundo,

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:51:00 -0800, Reimundo Heluani wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Reimundo Heluani <rheluani@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
> > Hello list, I am running the module therm_adt746x on a powerbook g4 and the
> > module seems to be doing its thing right. I can set different limits writing
> > to /sys/devices/temperatures/limit_adjust and the fans seem to be responding
> > correctly to both temperature and load. The problem I have is that if I run
> > any compilation for more than a few minutes on performance governor, the
> > system hard shuts itself down. I was wandering if this is done at the
> > Hardware level, or if it's the module who's putting this limit. Also I'd
> > like to know what is this limit and if it's possible to change it. As of now
> > I can only compile things in powersave mode.
>
> Well, looking at the code for the module I see that there is a hardcoded
> limit of 65 degrees Celsius for the CPU. Then later there is a line of the
> form:
> /*Set sensor1 limit higher to avoid powerdowns*/
> and then set the limit to 65 + limit_adjust.
>
> But my system (with a limit adjust of 0) powers down automatically at 70 C.
> Are these hardcoded limits too low or should I be looking to change the
> thermal paste + heatsink?

The therm_adt746x driver is a macintosh-specific driver not written nor
maintained by the lm-sensors group. I tried to look at the driver's
code but I have to admit I have no idea what they are doing with the
limits. I also don't know how the monitoring chip is wired on the
board. You should ask the macintosh people about your problems.

--
Jean Delvare