Re: A question regarding ASRock H55DE3 motherboard

On 02/18/2010 12:19 AM, Jean Delvare wrote:

Hello, Jean,

> Hi Artem,
>
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:50:38 +0500, Artem S. Tashkinov wrote:
>> I've recently become an owner of the aforementioned motherboard and I
>> have no idea how to monitor it in Linux.
>>
>> sensors-detect says that:
>> Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
>> Just press ENTER to continue:
>>
>> Driver `adt7473':
>>     * Bus `NVIDIA i2c adapter '
>>       Busdriver `nvidia', I2C address 0x2e
>>       Chip `Analog Devices ADT7473' (confidence: 5)
>>
>> Driver `to-be-written':
>>     * ISA bus, address 0x290
>>       Chip `Nuvoton W83667HG-B Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)
>>
>> Warning: the required module adt7473 is not currently installed
>> on your system. If it is built into the kernel then it's OK.
>> Otherwise, check http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices for
>> driver availability.
>
> This driver should be available. If it's not there, this suggests that
> you did not set CONFIG_SENSORS_ADT7473=m when building your kernel. You
> should have...

I will try to build this driver and report if it shows anything.

> (Note: starting with kernel 2.6.33 you will have to use the adt7475
> driver instead.)
>
>> Note: there is no driver for Nuvoton W83667HG-B Super IO Sensors yet.
>> Check http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices for updates.
>
> We indeed do not support this chip yet. I've added your request to the
> list on wiki/Devices.
>
>> No modules to load, skipping modules configuration.
>> however what really confuses me is that Windows hwmon115 says that I
>> have Winbond W832627DHG monitoring chip which is theoretically supported
>> by lm-sensors/i2c. However both w83627ehf.ko and w83627hf.ko modules
>> don't load with "No such device" error.
>
> I would trust sensors-detect. Maybe that Windows tool has decided that
> the chips are compatible enough that the W83667HG-B can be handled as a
> W83627DHG, at least for the feature subset it handles. Only a careful
> inspection of the datasheets would tell. You may want to try loading
> the w83627ehf driver with parameters force_id=0xa020 (to have the
> driver treat your chip as a W83627DHG), force_id=0xb070 (to have the
> driver treat your chip as a W83627DHG-P) or force_id=0xa510 (to have
> the driver treat your chip as a W83667HG). Beware though that this is
> untested by definition and we do not make any guarantee. It may
> somewhat work for monitoring, but for example I wouldn't dare trying
> fan speed control.

It looks like it's my own blunder: I have confused w83_2_627 to w83627 :) and taking into consideration ASRock's documentation my chip is indeed made by Nuvoton and it's currently unsupported - I'm eagerly awaiting patches to be merged.

--

Best wishes,

Artem