Re: A question regarding ASRock H55DE3 motherboard

Hi Artem,

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:50:38 +0500, Artem S. Tashkinov wrote:
> I've recently become an owner of the aforementioned motherboard and I
> have no idea how to monitor it in Linux.
>
> sensors-detect says that:
> Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
> Just press ENTER to continue:
>
> Driver `adt7473':
>    * Bus `NVIDIA i2c adapter '
>      Busdriver `nvidia', I2C address 0x2e
>      Chip `Analog Devices ADT7473' (confidence: 5)
>
> Driver `to-be-written':
>    * ISA bus, address 0x290
>      Chip `Nuvoton W83667HG-B Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)
>
> Warning: the required module adt7473 is not currently installed
> on your system. If it is built into the kernel then it's OK.
> Otherwise, check http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices for
> driver availability.

This driver should be available. If it's not there, this suggests that
you did not set CONFIG_SENSORS_ADT7473=m when building your kernel. You
should have...

(Note: starting with kernel 2.6.33 you will have to use the adt7475
driver instead.)

> Note: there is no driver for Nuvoton W83667HG-B Super IO Sensors yet.
> Check http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices for updates.

We indeed do not support this chip yet. I've added your request to the
list on wiki/Devices.

> No modules to load, skipping modules configuration.
> however what really confuses me is that Windows hwmon115 says that I
> have Winbond W832627DHG monitoring chip which is theoretically supported
> by lm-sensors/i2c. However both w83627ehf.ko and w83627hf.ko modules
> don't load with "No such device" error.

I would trust sensors-detect. Maybe that Windows tool has decided that
the chips are compatible enough that the W83667HG-B can be handled as a
W83627DHG, at least for the feature subset it handles. Only a careful
inspection of the datasheets would tell. You may want to try loading
the w83627ehf driver with parameters force_id=0xa020 (to have the
driver treat your chip as a W83627DHG), force_id=0xb070 (to have the
driver treat your chip as a W83627DHG-P) or force_id=0xa510 (to have
the driver treat your chip as a W83667HG). Beware though that this is
untested by definition and we do not make any guarantee. It may
somewhat work for monitoring, but for example I wouldn't dare trying
fan speed control.

> Another question is that hwmon115 detects temperatures and even power
> draw of my Intel Core i5 CPU however sensors-detect doesn't even mention
> this possibility.

CPU core temperature support could certainly be added to the coretemp
driver. We are waiting for Intel to help. Huaxu, any progress?

The power draw value is news to me, maybe this is a new feature of the
Core i5 which could be added to the driver as well.

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/wishlist.html