Re: ATK0110 on older Asus board

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Karl,

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:12:33 -0800, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 06:56:34 -0800, Karl Newman wrote:
> > > I have a 4-year-old Asus A8N-VM CSM motherboard, which has a W83627EHG
> > > chip for hardware monitoring. I recently upgraded to kernel 2.6.31 and
> > > ran into the "Device or Resource busy" error when trying to load my
> > > existing w83627ehf module. After some research, I discovered that I
> > > should use the asus_atk0110 module instead. So, I updated my kernel
> > > config to build that module and it will load with no problem, but
> > > "sensors" is ignoring it. When I modprobe the module, it silently
> > > succeeds (it's listed in lsmod) but there are no messages in dmesg or
> > > the syslog to indicate any activity from the module, which makes me
> > > suspect that my board is not currently supported by this module. I did
> > > confirm that it has the atk0110 chip (ls /sys/bus/acpi/devices shows a
> > > ATK0110:00 entry). Am I doing something wrong, or do you need a DSDT
> > > dump to support my motherboard, or...?
> >
> > Which version of lm-sensors are you running? "sensors -v" will tell
> > you. Minimum version for asus_atk0110 support is 3.1.0, as documented
> > on:
> >  http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices
>
> Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I'm using 3.1.1 (sensors version 3.1.1 with
> libsensors version 3.1.1), on Gentoo, along with kernel 2.6.31-gentoo-r6.

OK, that would be a kernel-side problem then. I guess that you don't
have a /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon* directory created for the asus_atk0110?

I'm adding Luca to Cc, your best chance is probably to send him your
DSDT in private and let him investigate.

If an updated BIOS exists for your motherboard, you may have to use it.

I have a /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0 directory, but it's for the k8temp module. If I unload k8temp and load asus_atk0110, there's no /sys/class/hwmon directory. I can't use a new BIOS because the newest one breaks boot-time USB support, so I'm using one version back. I had DSDT problems with this board with early version of the BIOS (I had to load a custom table in the kernel to fix the errors), but later BIOS versions fixed the problem. I'm sending my DSDT to Luca in a separate mail. Thanks for your help!

Karl Newman