Re: Application using i2c-imx.c

Hi Javier,

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:28:07 +0100, Javier Zugasti wrote:
> I wanted to ask if someone has used the i2c-imx driver functionalities to
> communicate with a LM sensor. I haven't found a single example in the web
> and I am very inexperienced with Linux.

You don't really have to care. Almost all I2C-based hwmon drivers
should work on top of any I2C bus driver. Exceptions are very rare (and
would suggest broken hardware design.)

> If so, could you please let me have a look to the application code so that I
> can understand how to communicate with my LM73 using the functions from the
> mentioned driver?

You don't have to do anything, drivers for this already exist. The lm73
driver isn't upstream yet, but it will be in a few days. For now you
can pick the patch from there:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jdelvare/linux-2.6/jdelvare-hwmon/hwmon-lm73-new-driver.patch

After patching your kernel tree, simply load the i2c-imx and lm73
drivers. Then either declare the lm73 device as part of your platform
data, or instantiate it from user-space using
the /sys/bus/i2c/devices/i2c-<n>/new_device file, where <n> is to be
replaced with the relevant i2c-imx's bus number (probably 0, if you
have a single I2C bus on your system.) And you should be done.

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/wishlist.html