Re: ipmisensors module ported to 2.6.29

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:35:40 +0100, Luca Tettamanti wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Would you be willing to work together with Paul to put ipmisensors code
> > into shape to be finally merged into the kernel? After it is confirmed
> > that ipmisensors won't cause trouble to ipmisensors, of course.
>
> I _might_ be able to hijack a development machine during the weekend,
> otherwise for testing I'd have to backport to 2.6.26 (Debian) since I
> really can't do a lot of reboots to test a kernel module.

OK.

> > Then we can discuss whether a libsensors-based implementation would
> > make sense, but if you need rw access to /dev/ipmi0 then I guess a
> > user-space implementation becomes unrealistic.
>
> But easier to test for me :P
> BTW, I did a quick recompile of ipmitool opening the device node ro:
> it still works (or at least it seems to).

This is interesting. Maybe some commands need RW and some are fine with
read-only? In that case, ipmitool should be modified to only require
write access when it really needs it. Anyway, if sensor access doesn't
require write access then a libsensors-based implementation becomes
possible.

--
Jean Delvare